Of all the Shoes...

Happy Mother's Day, the last day in the week of Beth. The last day to walk a mile in my shoes with me. 
So of all the shoes, which pair say "Mom" the most? It's a bit of a trick question really, because I play that role wearing all my different shoes, don't I? It's a hat I can never take off and one I can't imagine not being able to wear. Tonight, I'm choosing these babies: 

Classic momwear, just like mom jeans and mom hair, functional if not sassy.
       I love these shoes. They are not bold and colorful, not exactly a statement piece but they are a staple in my wardrobe. A gift to me in the week before my second daughter was born; they fit when not much else would. They have become the perfect thing to slip on when running out the door in a hurry, easy to trudge through the store pushing a cart full of kids and of course, comfortable year round. 
       I would love to show you some kitten heels that pair with my 'momness' as a Suzie Homemaker. Or some amazing sneaks to prove how fit I am with all this chasing of children. I'd love to share some zipped up boots, belted on for fashion forward and flashy mom, but I'm not. I'm all in all, a mom that wears these clogs- a simple shoe that is functional if not fun, classic if not classy, and a shoe that fits my everyday- wear of mom hair and of course, my mom jeans.It's a good thing I like looking like that mom :). 
 
     I'm wrapping up a lovely week playing dress up with you all, recognizing and celebrating myself. My family did a great job of celebrating with me today as well. Breakfast out, a little potted plant and a plaque for my wall, made special by little hands as well as home grown help with wonderful projects I got to direct and see finished all in the day's work. I got a perfect Mother's Day card as well. It really says it all for me. 


"Treat maker, #1 fan, Coach"
"Superhero, taxi driver, nurse on duty, green thumb"


       Though my characters as 'Beth' in life might be categorized a bit differently than these, it seems to have hit the nail on the head as to how it feels to be me. Many jobs and outfit changes, a shoe for every occasion, yet all fitting that one mom. The sentiment at the end is bittersweet but one I really tried to listen to today. 



       I am this mom as well. This "Happy Mom" is me. Stripped down to the cutest of skivvies, the most basic role of cheerful and smiling mom should be the easiest one to recognize and celebrate. Before this year, it really was the role I most enjoyed playing, 'The Happy Mom.' It was easy to get me to light up from the inside out, talking about my girls and their doings, all the goings on of our lives together, the bustle and the stress. Even in the worries for them I would be able to be light, finding a way to push beyond the drudgery and make fun happen.        
       Happy mom is struggling to shine right now. The spotlight might have to search long and hard to catch her on the stage, hiding in the wings, as she gets crowded out by all the others. Grief mom, Beth the Woman, Nurse Beth, they all have big personas. Wifey, the Lesson teacher, Book reader and Singer of songs might be deceiving as they look similar to Happy Mom. Ooh, and beware throwing the light on the Wicked Witch too, never give her more time than she already gets. I'm sure she's there though, in the shadows of the stage; she'll find her way to shine again and soon, gaining more and more acclaim as she does. Before the curtain call, she'll have pushed past the rest to stand proud and tall in the center, back to her rightful mark.
       


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the things that go unsaid

In a Yellow Wood

I Burned Your Condolence Card