I Saw You Today.

          Does that seem strange? You've been gone for so long. But I saw you. Or shadows of you, glimpses of who you could be. In the tint and curl of Charlotte's hair...in the twist of my little toe, tucked under just like yours. I saw your smile in the curve of Gretchen's pouty bottom lip, in the dimple in Eden's cheek when she laughed.
     I saw you again in the twinkle of your Daddy's eye. It caught me by surprise to see you there, winking at me across the room. Caught my breath in my throat, made my heart skip a beat. I choked a little, a tear running down my face; for some silly reason it was a shock to my system to see you here, in my home.
     You're here everyday, I carry you with me wherever I go. I don't doubt your presence when thoughts of you flit through my head. There are few times I can even bear to put you down, for moments only, when I am distracted so wholly by real life. And yet you can still make me jump, like a small child hiding around the corner, popping out and yelling, "Boo!"



I don't mind one bit seeing you here, in the faces of my family. I don't mind hearing the belly laugh from your sister as she is playing monster and chasing the other two, thinking how this could have been you, your laugh. I don't mind bandaging a skinned knee and kissing a bruise on one of their little limbs, knowing you would have had countless owies that looked just like theirs. 
I don't mind...really. I just miss  you. 

Comments

  1. I miss you too Griffin. Not as much as your mommy of course, but my heart aches that we never really got to meet. Angry even. You would have been such a good buddy. Love you Beth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the things that go unsaid

In a Yellow Wood

I Burned Your Condolence Card